Tuesday 2 October 2007

More cheese please!


I couldn't resist. I was very pleased today to see some good British cheese coverage in The Independent, via their coverage of the Great British Cheese Awards, held in Oxfordshire over the weekend. I had actually pleaded with David that we make the trip up there, but sadly the car; it's caput (as my mother would say).

They've lovingly attributed this with a full double page spread, and even the 'Ten Best British Cheeses' on the last page of Extra - but more on that in a second.

One particular treat, which I feel compelled to share with you here, was a description of the yard stick by which to measure things. "In the West Country we talk about a five-mile cheddar. You can eat a piece of cheese at lunchtime, go for a five-mile walk and still taste it. That is the sort of thing you are looking for." Brilliant!

Anyway, back to the Ten Best British Cheeses, I'm very pleased to see that the Cornish Blue made it in there at number 8. I'm already hoping that someone out there might take the hint and buy me some in this little blue pot for Christmas ;)

No comments: