Wednesday 2 May 2007

Emma v The Aubergine


I have never been a fan of the aubergine. One of my parents' favourite vegetables; this would be served up at least once a week throughout my childhood. To me they have the texture and appearance of giant slugs. It's just not pleasant. So... last week when one large (and I must admit, fine) specimen turned up in my veg bag I decided it was time to move on.

I made this Middle Eastern dip - Babaghanou - which actually turned out to be quite good. You can make it using Tahini, but I found that this swamped it, so recommend making it without.

Note: I have seen a couple of reviews of this which aren't too peachy elsewhere on the internet, but I crushed the cumin seeds up fresh, which I think makes all the difference!

Babaghanou
In Egypt, aubergines were roasted over hot coals until the skin was charred. At home, I char the aubergine directly over the gas flame, turning frequently with tongs until the juices begin to ooze out. It can also be baked in a 220°C oven for 30 minutes.

2 large aubergines
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

Char aubergines over gas flames until soft, then allow to cool. Peel the eggplants and let them drain in a sieve. Peel the aubergines and let them drain in a sieve. Purée the aubergines in a food processor with the lemon juice, ground cumin, garlic clove, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer to a bowl and stir in chopped parsley. Add tehina if you like.

Makes: 2 cups without tehina, 3 cups with 1 cup tehina, if desired

Source: 'Memories of a Lost Egypt: Reminiscences and Recipes' , Colette Rossant

No comments: