Saturday 5 April 2008

life in the slow lane


Our hob caught fire the other day. I say this in a flippant way like it was funny, but really, if anyone's ever encountered an electrical fire I'm sure you'll understand what I mean when I say I shat myself.

Still, it has forced us back to a slightly slower way of cooking things, one of them being scrambled eggs, which David requested for breakfast this morning. Luckily, we now have a wood burning stove (installed in December, in lieu of any kind of central heating) which has two cooking plates on top. Would you believe it? I even manged to cook some mushrooms to go with it :)


Something worth baring in mind though, before you all wistfully romanticize the possibilities of a wood burning stove - the scrambled eggs were really quite weird, more like creamed eggs... something which I think could be avoided by less stirring. I do like the challenge though - and it's so good for slower things like stews and stock.

1 comment:

Ghazala Khan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.