Friday 20 February 2009

Tomato Update 20.2.09


The first of the year... managed to get my toms sown today. Two 'Gardener's Delight' from last year's crop, two plums from our veg bag last year and also a new 'tumbling' variety which should suit growing in a hanging basket here. Have also sown some salad leaves too - am looking forward to seeing what comes up.

On another note, I was really lucky to go on a course about encouraging sustainability within the primary school before half term. Some really interesting and inspiring talks, especially from a chap called Gyles Morris of the Magdalen Project in Somerset, which I'll be visiting with my class on the school journey in just over a month's time. I'm really looking forward to it, and shall report back here...

Other highlights included Laura Farmer on the garden created at Poole's Park School in Islington, where each class have their own allotment growing fruit and veggies bound for the canteen; and the head of the WWF UK Education department, (whose name unfortunately has completely escaped me) on education for sustainable development, why it is important, and how it needs to be addressed by NGOs and the Government.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I shall be posting more things like this here in the future, as I try to encourage my class, if not school, to slowly but surely change its ways. We'll start small with some class tomatoes then..

No comments: